Diet for overweight pregnant women – with weekly menu
It is important that during pregnancy you maintain a healthy diet, especially if you are overweight or have a tendency to gain weight quickly. Although during this state you must have more precautions and care at the time of eating, this does not mean that you can not carry out a diet to not take more weight than necessary.
The decision to take a diet will especially be a good option if you are overweight, as, as being below normal weight can bring complications in pregnancy, being overweight also because it increases the likelihood of having difficulties, such as preeclampsia and gestational diabetes. That is why, in this article, we show you a diet for overweight pregnant women with a food menu to follow every day of the week.
Index Weekly menu for overweight pregnant women Kegel exercises to stay fit in pregnancy Other tips for maintaining your weight during pregnancy
Weekly menu for overweight pregnant women
Although losing weight before becoming pregnant would have been the best option to avoid possible complications, you can always take a diet during pregnancy so you avoid catching more unnecessary pounds. Before starting this weekly menu or any other diet, you should go to the doctor to recommend the best options to control your weight during pregnancy.
Next, we propose a weekly menu that you can continue being pregnant, with which, you will not lose weight but it will help you not to gain extra pounds. Many experts do not recommend losing weight during pregnancy, but before gestation or months after delivery. Therefore, we advise you to follow this menu of 5 days with which you will eliminate the more you will balance your weight and maintain it:
- Breakfast: one cup of skim milk with decaffeinated coffee, natural fruit juice and whole grains.
- Lunch: skimmed liquid yogurt.
- Food: Grilled zucchini with beef sirloin and a piece of fruit .
- Snack: a piece of fruit and a few whole-grain biscuits.
- Dinner: grilled salmon with asparagus and an infusion of chamomile.
- Breakfast: glass of skim milk with natural orange juice and toast with strawberry jam.
- Lunch: one piece of fruit.
- Food: Braised lentils and a skim yogurt.
- Snack: yogurt with cereals and a piece of fruit.
- Dinner: cheese and spinach rolls with an infusion of chamomile.
- Breakfast: a glass of skim milk, a kiwi and a few whole-grain biscuits.
- Lunch: a skimmed liquid yogurt.
- Food: vegetable salad with chicken breast and a piece of fruit.
- Snack: an integral bagel with fresh cheese and a natural pineapple juice.
- Dinner: rolls of chicken breast with cheese.
- Breakfast: cup of skim milk with whole grains and a natural fruit juice.
- Lunch: one piece of fruit.
- Food: cream of vegetables with a French tortilla of two egg whites and a yolk.
- Snack: natural yogurt with cereals and a piece of fruit.
- Dinner: sandwich with whole wheat bread stuffed with tuna, lettuce, hard-boiled egg and light mayonnaise.
- Breakfast: cup of skim milk, natural orange juice and toast with olive oil and grated tomato.
- Lunch: skimmed yogurt.
- Food: Spaghetti with minced meat and natural tomato and a piece of fruit.
- Snack: natural fruit juice and a handful of almonds.
- Dinner: pumpkin croquettes and baked potatoes with an infusion of chamomile.
Kegel exercises to stay fit in pregnancy
Physical exercise and pregnancy do not have to be incompatible, as long as your doctor has not told you otherwise. There are some exercises called kegel exercises that will allow you to prepare your body for childbirth, in addition to keeping you in shape. Follow these tips to do them correctly:
- Before starting this kind of exercises it is important that your bladder is completely empty, as this will prevent the appearance of a urinary tract infection.
- This physical mode will mainly cause you to exercise your pelvic muscles , so you should avoid contracting the abdomen or buttocks to focus on that area.
- Once you are ready, stand up and contract your pelvic muscles for 5 seconds, then relax the area for another 5 seconds. You should do 10 repetitions and repeat this exercise 3 times a day.
- Another kegel exercise will be to contract these muscles and relax them quickly. This mode will have to be repeated 15 times and you must do it once a day.
- You can also do other cardiovascular exercises with no daily impact, such as swimming, walking or aquagym. However, they should not exceed 40 minutes daily.
- Other sports advisable during pregnancy are yoga for pregnant women , pilates or tai chi, since they are exercises that do not carry any kind of impact.
- Finally, remember that you must perform a warm-up, as well as a process of calmness, every time you practice a sport in your gestation state.
Other tips for maintaining your weight during pregnancy
It is recommended that you also take into account the following tips to lead a good pregnancy if you are overweight :
- Do not lose weight during pregnancy: if you are overweight it is recommended that during this stage you gain between 5 and 9 kilos.
- Try not to gain weight during the first trimester: the baby does not use many of our energy reserves during this period, so it is not necessary to increase the caloric intake.
- Do not eat for two: follow our weekly menu or try to eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Drink plenty of water: good hydration is essential for maintaining the baby’s health and avoiding excess weight.
This article is purely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more similar articles to Diet for overweight pregnant women – with weekly menu , we recommend you to enter our category of Family Health .