Exercises to relieve tendinitis in the wrist
Tendinitis is inflammation of a tendon due to excessive or inappropriate use of tendon caused by movements or unhealthy postures. In the case of wrists, inflammation can occur by performing repetitive actions such as typing on the computer, using the mouse , carrying the baby, playing tennis, or doing any work, sports or entertainment activities involving the use of the tendon For an extended time.
Once you have been diagnosed with tendinitis it is important to regain mobility, so if you are looking for exercises to relieve tendinitis in the wrist in this article, you will find several movements that performed correctly will help you improve your condition and achieve wellness. Keep reading and discover the best exercises to relieve tendinitis in the wrist .
You may also be interested in: How to Cure a Tendonitis
One way to relieve the pain caused by tendinitis in the wrist is with stretching. Here we share some.
With your healthy hand, hold your injured hand. Now take the fingers of your right hand and take them back, as if you wanted to take them to your elbow. You will feel the stretch in the palm of the hand and the wrist. Hold the stretch for about ten seconds.
Hold your injured hand with your healthy hand but this time with the palm down and bring your fingers back for 10 seconds.
Rotate your wrist clockwise, as if drawing an imaginary circle. At first the movement should be very limited but little by little the range of motion should be expanded. Rotate 10 times in that direction and then repeat the movement, this time in the opposite direction.
Bring the palms of your hands over your head and then lower them until they are at the level of your chest, as if you were praying. Hold position for 20 seconds.Wrap hands over head with palms facing the ceiling. Stretch your arms and hold for 20 seconds.
Support the injured hand on a wall, so that the fingers are horizontal. Now turn your body and your neck very slowly in the opposite direction to generate the stretch and return to the starting position.
Flex the wrist to relieve pain
Another of the best exercises to relieve tendinitis in the wrist is that you make movements to flex this area. One of them is the following one:
- Extend your arm with the palm of the hand facing the ground.
- Lower your hand by pointing your fingers down.
- Hold for 10 seconds and return to starting position.
- Now bring your fingers up for 10 seconds and return to the start position to end the movement.
If you have a yoga mat put yourself in a position of table, supporting knees and hands on the floor. The knees should be below the hips and the hands aligned with the shoulders. Press your hands firmly against the floor while the shoulder blades rise to the back. Bring your chin and coccyx inward as you raise your spine and keep your abdomen tight.
Then take your body slowly to the starting position. This movement is known in yoga as “ cat stance ” and although its main function is to stretch the spine, it also helps activate the ex-tensor muscles of the forearms, improving the mobility of the wrist.
Another of the best exercises to relieve tendinitis in the wrist is what is known as tendon sliding. To do so, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- With the outstretched hand, start by touching with your fingertips the part of your palm that is closest to the wrist and back to the starting position.
- Now touch the middle of the palm and come back.
- And finally the part of the palm closest to the base of your fingers.
- When finished, take your thumb as far back as possible (as if you were fingering) and then try to touch the base of the little finger.
- Finally, return to the extended hand position to end the movement.
Treatment of tendonitis
Treatment goals for tendinitis in the wrist will be dedicated to decreasing pain and inflammation. To do this, it is recommended to immobilize the affected hand, either with plaster or splint, to administer non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and the application of cold and heat.
If the condition was caused by the sports practice, a rest period will be suggested and the reincorporation to the training routine will be done progressively. Rehabilitation exercises will be assigned and monitored by a physiotherapist.
In this other article from TIPSFROMEXPERTS we discovered some of the best natural remedies for tendinitis .
Causes of Tendonitis in the Wrist
Exercising for tendinitis in the wrist can be very helpful in improving the discomfort, but knowing the causes can help to generate changes in our movement habits to avoid that the problem worsens over time, hence the importance of knowing them:
- Previous injuries in the hand: A sprain, fracture or surgery of the hand can lead to tendinitis if the respective recovery process is not followed, since the tendons become irritated, causing pain.
- Stress : Frequent weight training or doing so improperly can tear the tendon and stress it, causing tendinitis. Traffic accidents and sudden stresses can also lead to this condition.
- Repetitive movement : editors, seamstresses, factory assembly line workers, athletes and in general anyone who submits tendons to the hand to a constant effort can develop tendinitis in the wrist.
This article is purely informative, in TIPSFROMEXPERTS we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Exercising to relieve tendinitis in the wrist , we recommend you to enter our category of Diseases and side effects .